Rokenbok Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Building Challenges > X2 Video Building Challenge > X2 Official Entries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOffical X2 Entries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offical X2 Entries
    Posted: Jul/07/2010 at 2:18pm
Please post your official entries here.
Paul Eichen,
Founder

Zenix Net View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Video Marketing [Construction Toys]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zenix Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2010 at 7:58pm
Entry #1 (Monorail Turn Table):
This is my first entry for the X2 challenge, a turn table for the monorail. This turn table allows the monorail to switch between multiple tracks, turn the monorail around to make it back up, and the track can be placed anywhere on the turn table to allow the monorail to travel in any direction.
I will be making a video about how I created the turn table, when completed I will put it in this post.

Edited by Zenix Net - Jul/08/2010 at 8:05pm
Rokenbok Subreddit reddit.com/r/rokenbok
kanimation View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Video Marketing

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanimation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 8:55pm
Entry 1- Rok'n Restaurant 360
The first of my many entries for the X2 challenge. This build takes full advantage of all the X2's features and powers to separate features; and elevator, and a spinning restaurant floor. I really wanted to do something different in this video. I think using stop motion and a storyline definitely allowed me to achieve that goal.

-More pictures and info coming soon-

Edited by kanimation - Jul/27/2010 at 11:15am
kanimation View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Video Marketing

Post Options Post Options   Quote kanimation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 9:19pm
Entry 2- Dual X2 drawbridge
The first ever DUAL X2 build by Zenix Net and K Animation.
-Our seco
nd entry
-

Yep, two new X2 videos in the same day. This build harnesses the power of 2 X2 power units to create the ultimate working monorail drawbridge.

Edited by kanimation - Oct/16/2010 at 9:22pm
Zenix Net View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zenix Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:58pm
Entry #2 (Dual X2 Monorail Draw Bridge):
K Animation and I built this together and are using it as a submission for the both of us.

bozo the rok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote bozo the rok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 10:41am
Bozo the rok here!
sorry about no X2 inventions yet, i have been really crammed with just about everything. I am going to washington for a week, then i am home for a week then i got to Hawaii for two weeks. i will have my inventions completed during that week period. But in the meantime for my first entree i will enter the video of my gantry crane, i hope to rebuild it during that week and improve some things.

MooseOnTheLoose View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote MooseOnTheLoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 12:25pm
Here is my first X2 challenge entry. It is a fixed crane powered by the X2.

Video:

Pictures:

This is the leverage system I used:

Here is the swiveling base and X2  power unit:

Check out my YouTube Channel.
FilmNoah View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote FilmNoah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 12:44pm
Awesome work everybody! I'm working on the X2 product video right now and I wanted to see if you all could please also upload the full resolution versions of your videos directly to our site. I'd love to show your incredible creations in the product video!

http://www.rokenbok.com/RO_Community/Gallery/videoUpload.asp

Thanks!
BubbaWilkins View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote BubbaWilkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 6:59pm

Entry #1: Rok Rumbler

Original has been uploaded Noah!
luckyduce View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote luckyduce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 3:20pm

I had my grandsons over to help with the Rokenbok

Yooper Boker View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 8:48pm
Here is our first entry for the X2 Build Challenge:  a Swing Bridge.

Overall view:
Center span:
Close up of bridge connecting to side support.  Corbels were used to guide the center span into place.
Top view of X2 and center span in rotated position.
Center span before assembled onto X2 center support:
X2 center support of bridge:

My helpers :)

Edited by Yooper Boker - Oct/17/2010 at 9:56pm
BigKid View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 8:49pm
BigKid Entry #1:  Power Swing Ride

Sorry for the multiple videos, but I don't know how to edit or combine them yet; they're short, though.  First time I have ever posted videos or used YouTube.  I'm a web video newbieEmbarrassed

This is a basic version of a swing ride, or Kettenkarussel.  I started out with larger ambitions of doing an octopus ride, but my design was too wobbly and heavy, and made the X2 bind up and slip.  So, this example resulted as a prototype of a more elaborate design to come, but I liked the speed with which the riders were spun around so much I left it alone in deference to the light weight.  I used rubber bands for seat belts.  My kids loved watching and playing with it!

This was a basic look at the capabilities of the X2's axle drive, one of the features I have been the most excited about.  In subsequent entries, I will explore other capabilities of the X2 in more complicated formats. 

Edited by BigKid - Oct/26/2010 at 11:10am
Chisen View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 10:31pm

A bit of an unusual submission for the first round -- as I mentioned in our X2 proposal, our plan is to build all of our X2 inventions into one big build, the X2 Factory.  The video below is a first look at the factory.  It already has a fully operational skyway, elevator and gantry crane.  Future videos will take a closer look at each of these inventions.  For the first video, however, I want to focus on the roof structure itself.

The roof is 12 bays wide and 5 bays deep.  It contains 2 separate tracks for the x2.  The first track, at the fron of the factory, operates the skyway.  The skyway is pretty simple, although we have spent hours and hours making it work smoothly -- the difficulty is that it has an 8 bay unsupported span and had to be built in such a way that the weight of the vehicle in the skyway car wouldn't create too much bend in the x2 track, or else the x2 would get stuck.  We've pretty much got all of the kinks worked out now. In the next video, we'll show how the x2 connects and disconnects from the skyway -- it's all remote controlled, so the kids don't have to touch the x2 at all.

The second track, at the back of the factory, currently controls 2 inventions.  On the left-hand side is an elevator, and on the right is a gantry crane setup, including a mechanism for lifting roks out of the recycling center and bringing them into the factory.  Like the skyway, we'll show how the x2 connects and disconnects to the elevator in the next video.

The X2 moves between the front track and the back track by driving onto a platform that is then pushed and pulled between the tracks by a vehicle on the deck.  There are a couple of pretty clear shots of this in the video.

The X2 Factory is clearly a work in progress.  By the end of the competition, we hope to have incorporated a few additional inventions as well as a lot more chutes and other more traditional Rokenbok parts for the kids to play with. 

Edited by Chisen - Jul/31/2010 at 9:51pm
Zenix Net View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zenix Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2010 at 6:18am
Submission #3 - X2 Monorail 5 Way Switch Track

Edited by Zenix Net - Aug/03/2010 at 6:19am
rider1999 View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rider1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2010 at 7:06pm
Hey all

This is our first entry for the Rok X2 Challenge . . . sorry for being late, but our PC died in some strong thunderstorms last week and we've been rebuilding and restoring!

I love all the entries so far - can't wait to see what else everyone builds!

For our first project we started building a gantry crane that just kept growing.  Before we knew it, it spanned the width of the room.  We then added a deck above for trucks and a monorail track around the outside.

Here's a video of the final product and some photos.

Rok on!
bozo the rok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote bozo the rok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2010 at 2:54pm
Here is one of my entrees, Its a horizontal conveyor.

for some reason it wont let me upload photos right now so a video will have to do...
luckyduce View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote luckyduce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 4:38pm
The X2 Drive unit is something Rokenbok System has needed.

Here is our Gantry Crane. My grandsons came up with the design before the X2 was announced over a year ago. They had seen ships being built on television and wanted to make a gantry crane with the Rokenbok.
We could build the structure but our design was very clumsy for the cables.
rider1999 View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rider1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:29pm
Hey all - Here's entry number two from team Rider1999.

We went with simplicity on this one and built a power crane.

The core of this build was created entirely by my son.  We had to work through the mechanism for raising and lowering the crane boom so that it would be sturdy enough to support weight.

Take a look at some of the closeup shots - the crane boom is raised via a brace that slides along two arms and connects to the X2 unit.

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by rider1999 - Aug/29/2010 at 7:42pm
Rok on!
BubbaWilkins View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote BubbaWilkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:31pm
Entry #2: Rok Mixing Plant

Noah, looks like the link for the direct upload didn't survive the site layout change.

Edited by BubbaWilkins - Aug/29/2010 at 6:42pm
BigKid View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:43pm
BigKid Entry #2:  Rescue Helicopter (based on military Jolly Green Giant)

My last entry was more representational than detailed, so this time I wanted to make something more realistic and fairly accurate.  More importantly, I wanted to showcase the X2's Dual Drive capability, and I thought this would be an excellent way to do so:  the rotor, powered by the X2's axle drive, and a cargo / rescue winch using that component of the X2.

Cargo hold:

Open side door:

Cockpit:

With gear up, in action lifting some cargo:

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, both features work very well.  Nice to look at, but not as practical in the Rokenbok world as some of the other entries.  I have been deliberately trying to think outside of the box, and as a result some function is lost to whimsy. 

I would have loved to film & photograph it hanging from the ceiling via fishing line, etc., but it was just too heavy---at least one attach point would have had to have been the top of the rotor, and it would have pulled out of the X2 easily with the weight.  It probably weighs 10-20 lbs. at least, and the rotor span is considerable; it is all I can do to hold it up and away from my head far enough for my son to work the rotor with the controller.

Edited by BigKid - Oct/26/2010 at 11:46am
Yooper Boker View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 6:33pm
Here is our second entry: a rolling lift bridge 

The bridge has a counterweight on the left side to balance out the weight of the bridge.

Edited by Yooper Boker - Oct/24/2010 at 10:09pm
Chisen View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2010 at 12:00am

Better late than never, I always say . . .

The factory has been more-or-less complete for several weeks, we just have not had time to make any videos.  The three inventions we'll focus on for the competition are the skyway, the dual elevators and the entrance gate/bridge that is the subject of this video. 

Several people have mentioned that the X2 is limited in its lift capacity.  In one sense, this is true -- you cannot simply connect the end of the X2 to large objects in your build and expect it to haul them around.  But to expect more power from a small, battery-operated machine would be, in my opinion, unrealistic.  Therefore, one of our primary goals was to demonstrate that, despite the physical limitations of its raw power, the X2 can manage to move extremely large objects when properly engineered.

In this case, the X2 connects to a entrance gate/bridge.  When in its lowered position, the bridge blocks the entrance to the factory.  When raised, the entrance opens and also forms a bridge that allows vehicles on the second floor to get from one side of the factory to the other.  The bridge itself is rather large, and there is no way the X2 could perform a "dead lift" of its weight.  I mentioned in a previous post that there are, as far as I can tell, 2 ways to address the problem.  One involves leveraging the weight through a series of pullies -- I didn't do that here, but I'll try to make another video after the competition to show how it can be used to lift very heavy objects.

The other way is to use counterweights.  No one in our family is an engineer, so we did a little research about using counterweights.  It ends up, this is how real elevators operate.  An elevator is basically a box connected to a pulley, with a counterweight on the other end.  The counterweight typically weighs about as much as the elevator plus 40% of its maximum load.  The counterweight allows the elevator motor to use very little force to tip the balance and raise and lower the elevator. 

Just for fun, in a twist on the elevator concept, rather than using weights for our counterweights, we used two elevators.  Each elevator, empty, is quite large by itself -- again the X2 could never perform an unassisted lift of either elevator with or without a vehicle in it.  The two elevators together (when empty) weigh roughly the same as the bridge.  The primary drag on the X2 in lifting the bridge is the friction created by the two strings connected to so many pulleys, as seen in the video.

Finally, you will see that the bridge has two legs connected to it that slide into place as the bridge raises.  The legs serve two purposes: (1) they permit the X2 to release the bridge and move away to control something else while the bridge is up and the entrance is open; and (2) they hold the weight of the bridge so that the elevators can serve as counterweights for one another, instead of serving as a collective counterweight for the bridge.  So the elevators won't work unless the bridge is up and the factory is open.

We'll show the elevators in action in the next video, and probably do the skyway in the last. We redesigned the skyway so it no longer functions the way it did in the original video we made of the factory. 

EDIT:

Someone asked me how the bridge is lowered.  The video below shows the mechanism for pulling out the legs.  Since the bridge and the elevators counterbalance each other, the bridge needs additional weight to lower.  We used two vehicles in this video, but you only actually need one. 

Edited by Chisen - Sep/13/2010 at 2:43pm
MooseOnTheLoose View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote MooseOnTheLoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 4:53pm
Do NOT try either of these at home, as you risk sinking your X2 power unit. I apologize that this is coming late.

Rokenbok Boat:

This is the first boat I built, using the X2 power unit. It floats because of 5 ziplock bags filled with air, then sealed and taped shut. The X2 powers the oars which move the boat.

Rokenbok Yacht:

This is the second boat I built, which is more like a yacht. The X2 also powers the yacht. The yacht also floats because of ziplock bags taped to the underside of the boat.

Again, do NOT try this with your X2, because it is NOT waterproof.

Edited by MooseOnTheLoose - Sep/18/2010 at 4:54pm
Check out my YouTube Channel.
rider1999 View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rider1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 10:03pm
Hey all!

Here's our third and final "Official" build for the X2 Challenge, though I'm sure we're going to get tons more fun out of the unit.

Our last build is the implementation of our very first idea for how to use the X2 - a monorail roundhouse switch.  Another team posted a similar project, however this was something we really wanted to explore.  The key, we found, was to turn the X2 unit on its side and then run the round monorail track through the cogs.

It works great and really expanded our use of the monorail train.

Here's a movie and I'll try and post some photos soon.

Thanks and we hope you enjoy.

Rok on!
luckyduce View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote luckyduce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 12:03pm

Here is our Rokenbok Merry Go Round. These guys work so hard that they won’t sit down for anything.

My grandsons and I worked on this off and on for several weeks. Every design we tried was clunky (did not run smoothly).

Our other entry’s we have submitted were made using minimal parts. They were built with just the X2 and the inventor’s tool box. This one we decided to get some extra parts out.

Most of the roof is just for appearance. This could be built with just the inventor’s tool box and about a dozen extra radius parts and some extra risers. 

There are six legs around the roof. It only takes 3 to hold it up and balance it. We just liked the way it looks with 6 legs instead of 3.

The center section that turns can be held up with just one axle.  We were surprised that an axle would hold that much weight.  We did put another axle on the bottom to keep it from swaying when it was turning.  It really is not needed.

We have the X2 about at its limit. The clutches slip occasionally (I guess we will just have to get another X2). 

Quinton and Karter always enjoy playing with Rokenbok.They play with it most nights after school. Hey I get a visit them almost every day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>