Rokenbok Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Building Challenges > ROK Blocks Building Challenge > Official Entries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOfficial Entries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Entries
    Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 3:44pm

Contestants,

Please post your official entries here.

You first entries (your best flying vehicle and your child’s best flying vehicle + comments) are due by noon on Sunday, March 14.

Thanks!

Mr. Rokenbok

Paul Eichen,
Founder

Chisen View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 5:22pm
First, my entry, a spaceship:

Complete with rotating laser canons:

Capable of vertical take-offs and landings:

The underside reveals wheels for ground transport:

and (our favorite part), the wheels detach and serve as a rover:

One last photo of the spaceship for good measure:

And one of my son, Willem:

Chisen View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 5:25pm
Now my my son's best flying vehicle (Willem, age 6), some sort of futuristic jet:

And finally, my daughter's best flying vehicle (Alyda, age 5).  I'll repeat the story I posted in the other forum explaining what this is: Alyda kept telling me she was going to make a "sea plane".  I wondered a few times where she might have seen a sea plane or what she thought one might look like.  I was out of the room much of the time she was working on it.  Apparently, she meant a "C" plane, not a "sea" plane:

One last pic showing Willem's and Alyda's flying vehicles together:

Edited by Chisen - Mar/12/2010 at 10:48am
adamiam View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote adamiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 7:56am
WOW! Nice entries so far... ROK Blocks are great. My son has had allot of fun playing with them so far. Only two issues that I have come across. The small red piece with the almost enclosed circle at the end of it snapped off when one of his creations fell over. One would assume that it should have been able to take the fall (about 2 feet). The other issue I have run into is that some of the ROKs don't hold well when attached to each other.

This is Dylan's fighter jet!

This is my very boring airplane... I had a better imagination when I was younger I swear :)

Edited by adamiam - Mar/13/2010 at 7:56am
mommyengineer View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 8:05am
This is my bi-plane entry for the flying vehicles built by the parent:

This is my five year old's entry. He named it the rocket comet and thought that the guy would have more fun flying standing up.

Edited by mommyengineer - Mar/13/2010 at 8:05am
Glad I have 3 little boys (even if there all under 5) so I have an excuse to buy more Rokenbok!
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 8:48am
Here is Alex's (Age 5) creation he calls "Rocket and Rocket Launcher". 

Here's my jet fighter.   Took about 20 minutes to get it together.  The thing that you may not be able to see is that this jet is sturdy.  All the connections, with the exception of the tips on the wings, are reinforced with either other ROK blocks or other parts, very solid.   Used all but 4 parts from the kit (shown in the last photo). 

Yooper Boker View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 7:03am
Here is Matthew's (age 5) entry:  a hellicopter.

Here is my entry:  a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter

Comments/Feedback
Pro - You can really build something fast with these blocks compared to other toys (like legos) - because of their larger size (we never did duplos - so I can't comment on those).  As can be seen from all the various entries - these are very versatile.  They are an open ended toy that encourages creativity and imagination with kids.  They are also easy to put together.  I would recommend having some simple build instructions/diagrams to build various things with it.  My kids love to follow instructions and build things - and this is a good skill to encourage too. 
Cons - They sometimes stay together great and other times aren't quite as strong as I would like.  I know this is a double edged sword - ease of building vs. strength.   I found that the rok blocks do not adhere well when attached into Rok beams, but Rok beams snap in great into the rok blocks.  I accidentally broke one of the blue curved pieces - so they can be a little hard to use (I admit I was probably trying to put it somewhere it should not have gone).  My kids still need help sometimes with the red swivel blocks.
Overall - a great product!
Lynxmaxx View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lynxmaxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 8:09am
This is my 4 years old daughter Katrina that did this one. The only problem she came across is to snap the wheels in place. It took her about 15min to create it.

This is my 6 years old daughter Sabrina that did this on. She named it The Flying Cube. It took her about 10 minutes to create this cube. She also had a little trouble snapping the wheels in place.

While Sabrina was at school, Katrina at the daycare and mommy at work, daddy got to play quietly. My main goal was to try and use most of the parts.

Sabrina (6) likes to play but gets bored after a wild. She likes it more when I do a very big built to play with the vehicles. She is more into music, dance and makeup. Sure is growing fast this one. LoL
Katrina (4), can't let go of the Roc Blocks for a minute. She is into Cars, trucks, Lego's, Rokenbok and all the toys for boys.
These Rok Blocks sure hit a home run for Katrina and me.
Go easy on me guys, I'm french
BokRoksON! View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote BokRoksON! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 9:35am
Here is Jake's econo-flying car.
And here is the Skinny Chicken.
Thanks Rokenbok for including us!
rslaback View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote rslaback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2010 at 10:54am
Here is Alex's (age 5) entry which he calls his flying helicopter car.

Here is our joint entry.  It is a biplane we created.

The biplane is pretty basic.  We were hoping to come up with a design that Alex would be able to recreate by himself in the future.  We made a second helicopter with the same thought process that is in the original thread.

Some observations and comments:

1.  The red hinges and swivels snap into the bloks a bit harder than we had hoped.  We have one tab on a hinge that looks as though it will break off at any time (you can see the stress as a light spot in the plastic)
2.  The red bloks themselves are difficult to get to stay in place when attempting to offset them.  A few of the designs we wanted to use had the initial red block offset by one space when attached to a yellow or blue.  This makes them only have one peg to hold them since the pegs are on the corners.  Would it be possible to redesign the pegs (perhaps just on this blok) to have more of a lip to better hold it in place?
3.  Using the inside clip on the wheels etc works great.  I also noticed these are present on the single blocks but not on the standard beams.  Is there a plan to change the original Rokenbok molds to include this option?  If not, in my opinion it should be considered.
4.  What is the purpose of the thin material in the center of the single snap block?  These make it impossible to insert a peg from a rok blok in them and limit the use of them.

dblnaknak View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote dblnaknak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 11:36pm

Pros: Easy to use, its easy to put together. Fun to use

Cons: It does not stay together. While trying to take the picture with my daughter it fell apart 4 times. She gets fustrated because it falls apart while she plays with it. i think the blocks could have a better fit that would hold them together better.
Twin Falls View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Twin Falls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 11:37pm
This is Karter’s (age 4) first plane. He did this Saturday morning. He had watched me build a plane and then he did this one. I did put the canopy on for him, but the rest was his. Karter and his brother played with the Rok Blocks late Friday night and then got up and played with them all Saturday morning.
Notice the pajamas. No time for breakfast it is Rokenbok time.
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Twin Falls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 11:37pm

Quinton's plane with left over parts. It is tough to share with a brother.

My big build above. The 2nd photo is the front wheel that self that turns and self aligns.
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2010 at 11:35am

For the vehicle with wheels entry:

Here is Matthew's (age 5) entry:  A Boat Hauler
The little tugboat can fit onto the back of the truck.

Here is my entry:  A Cherry Picker
The bucket can go up and down and swivel. 
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 1:48pm

Wheeled vehicles.  We wanted to do something different so we decided to stay away from cars/trucks/etc.   I don't know how well that strategy worked out, but we had a good time coming up with different things.  Here is my Golf Cart and Alex's shopping cart. 

rslaback View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote rslaback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 6:15pm
For wheeled vehicles this week we have Alex's SUV:

And my semi truck:

Lynxmaxx View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lynxmaxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 6:41am
This is my 4 yeas old Katrina that made this without any help.
This one is my 6 years old Sabrina. Little trouble snapping the wheels in place.
This is my semi tractor trailer.
Go easy on me guys, I'm french
adamiam View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote adamiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 6:41am
Dad's

Dylan's

Edited by adamiam - Mar/28/2010 at 6:43am
Chisen View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 11:25am
I apologize in advance for all of the pictures -- we couldn't decide what to cut.

First, my train engine:

Now, Willem's emergency rescue truck:

And finally, Alyda's Moon Buggy:

Edited by Chisen - Mar/28/2010 at 12:00pm
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Twin Falls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 11:26am

Karter's Bull
Quinton told me he was making a tractor.

When he first started it looked like some blocks with wheels. When I came in later he showed me his tractor (combine) He did not know what it is called, but he has seen them by our house.
 I think he has got me beat.

Edited by Mr. Rokenbok - Mar/30/2010 at 3:02pm
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:37pm
Wheeled Vehicle Entry:
Sorry for the delayed entry...the boys lost all creative juices when faced with a deadline Confused But, today they are back to building. The five year old came up with a SUV and I didn't have the heart to tell him that the idea had already been posted. The three year old was building like crazy and actually made his own loader, its only got 2 wheels but he was using it to carry the Rokenbok guy on a trip. He is a boy of few words his description was "it fun" and "wheee" so maybe its an amusement park ride Tongue
I decided to try to replicate an articulating CAT loader that my husband uses on the dairy. After fighting the bucket attachment (I really wanted it to go up and down and tip), I went back to a simpler design. The hinges worked quite well for the articulating part.

Glad I have 3 little boys (even if there all under 5) so I have an excuse to buy more Rokenbok!
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:55pm
Open Design Entry:
Trying to make up for my late wheeled design entry with an early posting of my open design (boy's entries to follow, they are still working on their best design). I wanted to replicate the Rokenbok Monorail since it is such a unique RC vehicle. It took a little tinkering to get the wheels just right, but it smoothly slides on the one beam standard track...just have to have a lot of risers and no sharp turns.Smile  The bucket is able to swivel and dump.

Qball View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

ROK Service Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 11:04am
Participants,

Please get your Design of Choice entries in this weekend before Sunday's deadline!!
Let's see what your best build is using the Deluxe Rok Blocks Set !

customerservice@rokenbok.com

Rokenbok Customer Service

888-476-5265 x232
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 9:04am

Rollerskating Robot.   Why choose this one?  Because Alex has had a great time playing with it, more so than any of our other attempts.  Arms and legs and hands move via swivels and pivots.  :) 

Below is Spike the dinosaur.  Alex modeled this after his toy dinosaur.  He built the body, legs,  head and tail but was really struggling with the neck and attaching the head so it wouldn't fall over or break off.  I helped him reinforce it with some single blocks and swivels so that it would hold up.  

Edited by AlexBok - Apr/10/2010 at 9:51am
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 6:08pm
Here is Matthew's entry for anything made with just RokBlocks.  He calls it "the whack-a-ma-doodle track".  He sometimes makes tracks out of Rokenbok for his match box cars and monster trucks.  This one he made with Rok Bloks.  The kids had also made a windmill - but this is shows another non-traditional way my kids like to play with Rokenbok.

On the front side, there is a wheel that spins that is used to knock the vehicle off the jump.

On the back side there is a ramp and hill to drive trucks on.

Here is my build - a barn with swinging doors in front and a side pen for the animals.  There is also a hay loft in the barn.

Barn with the front gates shut.

The green hay loft is inside the barn.

The side pen also opens and closes.

The back of the barn.

Edited by Yooper Boker - Apr/11/2010 at 6:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>