Forum Home Forum Home > Building Challenges > Architectural Building Challenge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArchitectural Building Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Architectural Building Challenge
    Posted: Feb/10/2009 at 3:48pm

Post your Architectural Building Challenge submissions here. . .

Cheers,

Edited by Mr. Rokenbok - Feb/10/2009 at 3:49pm
Paul Eichen,
Founder

AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 4:54pm

We'll, I guess I'll kick it off.  We immediately thought of this building when we heard about the challenge.  Not only is it a cool shape that would be a neat build in and of itself, it also has a monorail running through the lobby, how cool is that?  Yes folks, I'm talking about the Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World.  Here are some pics of the real thing:

A few of the features we wanted to replicate was obviously the shape.  We also wanted to somehow include the balconies in the rooms.  And obviously we wanted to include the monorail rolling through the main lobby of the resort.  The monorail is pretty much what set the size of the project.  We wanted it to look in reasonable proportion to the real thing.  The main building ended up being 51"x32"x29".  It's the biggest build I've made...the pictures don't really do it justice wrt size. 

Overall Build. The room on top is a restaurant in real life...with great views of the park.

End View.  The wall of windows was replicated from the real thing.  The monorail entrance/exit is located in approximately the same location as the real building.  I went out and bought a monorail depot just for the monorail doors for this build. 

Side view.  Notice the balconies which represent different rooms in the resort.  Those guys look like they are having fun! Wall sections at the bottom replicate the real thing. Also the angled "concrete" panels are replicated with white decks.  Each of the two main walls uses 152 full Rokenbok beams (plus a lot of other parts). 

Probably my personal favorite part was the three dimensional look between the outer supports and the decks and "balconies".  A lot of angle blocks were used in this build! 

We also spent quite a while on the interior.  One of the most amazing things about the real building is walking through the lobby when a monorail goes through.  We tried to replicate four main features of the Contemporary Resort interior including the monorail depot (of course!), a large central beam that goes from the floor to the ceiling (where the elevators are in the real building), the gift shop, and one of my favorite restaurants at WDW, Chef Mickey's.  Each is laid out in approximately the same position as it is in the real building. 

All the elements of the interior can be seen in the photo.  The restaurant is shown in the bottom right of the photo.  The tables are inventors kit wheels without the tires.  Yes, I borrowed the idea of using the roadways slide as steps, that someone posted on these forums. 

Closeup of the monorail depot and gift shop.

Top view of the monorail depot

Rokenbok gear for sale at the Giftshop!

Another view of the interior...this one shows the ceiling.

Chef Mickey's

Butters the Cat approves! 

Thanks for looking!  Sorry for all the pictures, I couldn't help myself. 
rokenbokah View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote rokenbokah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:01pm
Wow... you got your parts already?? I thought you could only use the parts from your inventory!

BTW: I've been to that hotel, nice model!

Edited by rokenbokah - Feb/11/2009 at 5:02pm
Davido808 View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Davido808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:05pm
Spectacular!!! Clap
Rokenbok Roks!!!!
Alkhalikoi View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alkhalikoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:06pm
Very nice.
mjj226 View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjj226 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:11pm
awesome!!!
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:17pm
Thanks guys.  No I didn't get my raffle parts yet...they were chosen with builds 2 and 3 in mind.  Big%20smile
neilharbin0 View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilharbin0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 5:35pm
that is so fantasticly amazing! It makes my apartment building look like nothing. Nice job and wow a lot of pieces.
crusher44x View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 7:06pm
GREAT JOB!! I have been there. The real hotel is awesome as well as the copy! Absolutely amazing! Gonna be hard to top that.. I better get off my lazy but and get started!

Edited by crusher44x - Feb/11/2009 at 7:07pm
My journey with Rokenbok was a great one.
Mr. Rokenbok View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 7:12pm
Wow!  The AlexBok team has set the bar very high.  This is going to be a lot of fun!!
Paul Eichen,
Founder

mcgrady View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcgrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 7:35pm
Gulp.... AlexBok, that is magnificant!!! As always the photography is also superb. I definetly feel the heat after talking smack, then seeing this..... Very, very good bro....

Clap
- ROK On!
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 8:51pm
I don't know if I want to spill the beans or not of what I'm building.. I'll wait... So far, Its coming along great! I just don't think I have enough angled pieces..
Grimfunnycash View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grimfunnycash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 9:52pm
I wouldn't say anything crusher.  All I can say is WOW!!!  THATS AMAZING!!!  It looks WAAAAY GOOD!!!!!
Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead all the way!!
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2009 at 10:42pm
I finally got off my but... May take a little while to finish... By the way, Mr. Rokenbok and everyone else, my team name is Halfpint Destruction...
Rokendan View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rokendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 4:53am
That is SO cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks exactly like the actual building!!!!! 
I wish I had more time for rokenbok!
BigKid View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 6:14am
Excellent work Alexbok!Clap  Mr. Rokenbok is right, the bar has definitely been set very high.....I think I might have something for you, though; we'll see.....
Yooper Boker View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Yooper Boker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 7:03am
Wonderful job, AlexBok.  Great attention to detail!
Rok Teacher View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rok Teacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 7:03am
What!...No Pool?
CS Patty View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote CS Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 11:14am
AlexBok,
Superb build!  And excellent pictures from all viewpoints that allow us to fully appreciate it.
Amazing job!
Just curious, how much time did it take??
Patty
Patty, Rokenbok Customer Service
Lynxmaxx View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lynxmaxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:14pm
WOW!! This thing is nice. I think this is going to be hard to beat. Great job alexbok
Go easy on me guys, I'm french
breaker View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote breaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:40pm
do we have to build a real thing???
I draw my avatars with my own hand.
Mr. Rokenbok View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:47pm

You can create your own original design; it does not need to be a replica of an existing structure.  How about a moon base, Rokenbok capital building, wind generator factory building, fusion power plant. . .  anything!

Paul Eichen,
Founder

breaker View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote breaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 1:50pm
i was thinking of a super long 2 way monorail bridge across my room (18'x18')
rokenbokah View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote rokenbokah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 3:28pm
Here comes mine...

It is a football stadium, complete with bleachers!

Overall of front.

Closeup of front.

Huddle up!

Bleachers.

Overall of back.

Not as great as AlexBoks, but I am proud of it for being my first contest submission. I'll improve my skills on the next 2!

Edited by rokenbokah - Feb/12/2009 at 3:29pm
breaker View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote breaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2009 at 3:51pm
is it possible to get a far away shot of it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>