Rokenbok Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Building Challenges > ROK n' Roadways Building Challenge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRok n' Roadways Building Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rok n' Roadways Building Challenge
    Posted: Nov/07/2008 at 4:12pm
It's about 4:11 PM on the first day of construction. I've done a lot, and here are some progress pictures. I call it the Rok N' Gate Bridge.

(Edit: These are just progress shots, not the final thing)

Edited by Hyce - Nov/11/2008 at 12:38pm
Hyce.

BigKid View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2008 at 9:13am
Post your ROK n' Roadways entries & related discussion here; same format as the Inventor's Challenge.  Good Luck!  We will post a poll like Mr. Rokenbok mentioned, as soon as there are enough entries from each participant to provide an educated vote.
mcgrady View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcgrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2008 at 1:03pm
Looks good Hyce!! I like it... I am back home. We've had some family problems, I aplogoize for not being around. All is almost back to normal. Our first challange didn't work as we hoped. It was at first, but way to many bugs, problems, short falls, etc.. We are fed up with it, and are scrapping the whole idea. It is a shame, we spent a long time on trying to get it to work. I've also discredited my bragging and now look foolish.  Me and my son are in the works of getting something turned in. We feel bad for not having a single invention up from the last challange.    Instead of our Rube Goldberg, we will instead be making somthing Rokenbok Vehicle "usefull".  We will incorporate our Inventor Challange items in that, to take care of that challange.     You can count us in on this challange, as it will also be a part of the overall assembly.   I Missed you all!!!

Edited by mcgrady - Nov/10/2008 at 1:07pm
- ROK On!
Mr. Rokenbok View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2008 at 1:11pm
Mike,

So glad to see you are back!  We have missed you.  Welcome home,
Paul
Paul Eichen,
Founder

The Cat View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2008 at 4:00pm
Welome back Mcgrady!! Still can't wait to see your setup.
I have a life now, and no time to do stuff. Its good and bad, but life goes on.
BigKid View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 5:36am
Welcome back Mike!  We missed you, too.

It took me forever to get an Inventor's entry done, and that was just one.  I think I set my bar a little too high trying to build the ultimate entry, and as a result ended up with a bunch of snags myself that slowed my project's progress significantly to the point of discouragement.  In the end, I just decided to roll out what I had, and worry less about perfection.  For me, the Inventor's Kit has so many possibilities, I was determined to try and showcase it all at once, and that made it extra tricky (not to mention that I was short on other building essentials and space, due to a large completed build that took most everything I had).

As far as this Challenge, I can't wait to get my sets and start building!  I've got several good beginning ideas already, and I have dismantled my build (I will try to get some photos of it up in the Gallery soon), providing the space and materials to do it right this time.  I too may include some Inventor's components to make up some ground, as well.
mcgrady View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcgrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 6:43am
Well, Cam and I just finished taking down everything last night. We seperated every, I mean every piece, and put everything into organized containers.  Now I need to vacume, and shampoo our Rok N' Carpet, as it's been 2 years since we've had a full disassemble.  As a learning experience for my son, we are keeping a Build Diary.  I'll try to log our progress frequently with pictures and info.  I've attempted this in the past, but I'll try and make a good effort this time to go until we complete the build. Tonight we start...
- ROK On!
crusher44x View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2008 at 11:21am

Welcome back Mike!

You know I have sent you several PM's regarding where you were! 

Hopfully you'll stay with us this time! lol

My journey with Rokenbok was a great one.
neilharbin0 View Drop Down
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilharbin0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2008 at 4:04pm

here is my long unsoported bridge. Shocked
for the support to keep center of bridge up it uses eye beams(two 1/4 circle pieces(look at vid)).
if i had more circles it would be stronger.

1 down 2 to goSmile
ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilharbin0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2008 at 5:39pm

Here is my roadways i ntegrated into my building. just pictures of dif angles. all pics are 8 megapixel but i thing were stretched down by photobucket.

2 down 1 to go
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 4:13pm
This is what I call the Rok 'n Gate Bridge!!!  

This picture shows that the bridge can hold seven vehicles with NO PROBLEM!

*Sorry about the crappy quality... I don't have the best camera...

**Please mind this is my FIRST Rok 'n Roadways build...

***Please comment good or bad

**** I'll have a video of it soon... I can't find the SD card...

ENJOY!
Hyce View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 5:17pm
Name stealer...
Hyce.

ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote crusher44x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 5:29pm
Whoops... I didnt see that....Embarrassed
Grimfunnycash View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grimfunnycash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 6:56pm
I was gonna build something like that.  Can I still make one kinda like it?
Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead all the way!!
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:10pm
Looks good guys.  There is only so much you can do with a bridge to make it unique so in some ways I think many will be kind of the same.  I for one would like to see everyone's intrepretation.
Crusher, I like the demo with the 7 trucks! 

Neil, I like the shot from the bottom. 

Hyce, love the use of the strings for visual effect. 
aaronkohn View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote aaronkohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:11pm
Looks like a lot of nice work out there.

My son, Eli (4) and myself (35) started our build tonight too. We have most of the span work done, but need further work on the end piers. The piers will house most of the 'roadways' once completed. As you can see in the pictures - we have a two lane vehicular bridge on top further supported by a single lane monorail bridge below.

We have a little deflection in the middle, but probably no more than 1.5" over 6'.

AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:21pm
Really really nice.   I was planning a two lane bridge, but you've already topped it by adding a monorail!  Well done.   Great pictures too. 

...who is the guy on the right? 

Edited by AlexBok - Nov/14/2008 at 7:22pm
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grimfunnycash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:46pm
Wow.....  Thats all that i can say.....
Mr. Rokenbok View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:48pm
You guys are all AWESOME!
Great work. . .
Paul Eichen,
Founder

ROK Journeyman
ROK Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Quote neilharbin0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2008 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Mr. Rokenbok

You guys are all AWESOME!
Great work. . .
wow thank you so much Mr. Rokenbok
aaronkohn View Drop Down
ROK Newbie
ROK Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote aaronkohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 5:20am
From left to right.

Ghandi, Edison, Picasso.

I'm still looking for the Feynman one!
AlexBok View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexBok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 8:38am
Huh...I don't now if I've ever seen a picture of Picasso before.  Can't say that's what I expected. 
mcgrady View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcgrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 1:10pm
Suspension Bridge: 

[
- ROK On!
mcgrady View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcgrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 1:24pm
Oh yeah... by the way, we called this one the Rok n' Gate Bridge     Hahaha.... Name stealer.... that's funny....

Edited by mcgrady - Nov/15/2008 at 1:25pm
- ROK On!
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grimfunnycash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2008 at 1:26pm
Wow!!!  That looks awesome!  Man....  Mine sucks compared to that.....   I like how you have the elevator getting up to it all.  How tall is it?  I am guessing about 5-6 bays....

(I'll get pics of mine up later, my dad has the camera, and is camping)

Edited by Grimfunnycash - Nov/15/2008 at 9:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>