Forum Home Forum Home > All Things Rok > Rok Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rokenbok for Slot Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote foshizzle42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rokenbok for Slot Cars
    Posted: Feb/22/2011 at 12:13am
wow awesome SCX track i love the rokenbok supports.
man i wish i had a track like that great use of rokenbok other than an awesome construction toy!!
Clap
Hey check out my YouTube profile. Im rokenbok101. More rokenbok videos comming up soon!
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 12:22pm
Here are some updates to the track.  Grandstand and arches that will eventually be wired for lights so we can do some night racing.

Edited by greenjo2 - Feb/27/2011 at 12:23pm
Photovor View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote Photovor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 3:59pm
I like the idea, but instead of using the track for the slot cars, I'd just use it as ramps and decking for actual Rokenbok. I have some track laying around here, with no controllers and cars, I think I'll try it as Rokenbok Decking :-)
TBoneWVU View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote TBoneWVU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2011 at 4:07pm
if you have a night shift trailer, you could try to light your track wiht it, and have it towed by a car,  like an F&R or emergency speedster, going around the inside or outside of the track, following your slot cars.
LET'S GO PENS!
LET'S GO BUCS!
I HATE SCHOOL!
I HATE HOMEWORK!
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2011 at 8:47am
I like the idea, but instead of using the track for the slot cars, I'd just use it as ramps and decking for actual Rokenbok. I have some track laying around here, with no controllers and cars, I think I'll try it as Rokenbok Decking :-)

If you have some flexible track you should be able to do some interesting things with it, things you wouldn't be able to do with Rok decks.  If you've got long pieces of track you can use far less beams to span greater distances than you can with decks.  We've driven the Rok vehicles around this a few times, lap times are considerably slower as you can imagine.  A slot car can travel the 98 feet of track in the range of 8.88 to 10.5 seconds depending on the car, Rok vehicle lap times are measured in minutes.  Post some pictures of what you put together.
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 2:22am
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 2:25am
Curved & straight beams used to make light towers with working lights.  Electrical wire ran through center of beams and out top to light.

Legofan970 View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Legofan970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 9:26am
How can you run a wire through the center of beams?  Isn't the space too thin?  I've tried to do that, and wasn't successful - the wire wouldn't fit.
-Lifetime Rokenboker

Be sure to check out the unofficial building challenge in the Rok Construction forum. All are welcome to participate!
Rokenblock View Drop Down
ROK Craftsman
ROK Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rokenblock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 11:17am
Wow, amazing great Job!
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2011 at 1:26pm
How can you run a wire through the center of beams?  Isn't the space too thin?  I've tried to do that, and wasn't successful - the wire wouldn't fit.

You have to use a small guage wire.  My power source for my lights is a low voltage 12v yard light electrical box so I don't need to use heavy guage wire.  I will tell you that you must be very patient when doing this and use a small set of needle nose pliers to help the wire along when it gets stuck.

If you look closely at the picture of the rok light post you will see wire in the beam.

Edited by greenjo2 - Mar/05/2011 at 1:27pm
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 2:44am
TBoneWVU View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote TBoneWVU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 12:43pm
how do you keep the lights from making the curved beams fall, the lights seem like they'd be heavy, and you only have extra support along the sides of the vertical beam.
LET'S GO PENS!
LET'S GO BUCS!
I HATE SCHOOL!
I HATE HOMEWORK!
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 1:26pm
The lights are not very heavy (plastic and a small 7w light bulb) and I also think that much of the weight might be evenly dispursed throughout the structure due to the wire being threaded through the beams this might help keep most of the weight of off the joint where the curve beam joins the straight beam. I'm an accountant not an engineer so I'm not certain if my theroy is correct.  I do know that they hold the lights with no issues at all, we've even had a car or two hit a light pole during a crash and it didn't dislodge the light pole at all.

Edited by greenjo2 - Mar/06/2011 at 1:40pm
TBoneWVU View Drop Down
ROK Master
ROK Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote TBoneWVU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 2:03pm
you could make rokenbok arches across the track, with the lights hanging from the center of the arch, where the 2 curved beams connect, or the center of a striaght beam, if you need one to get across your track
LET'S GO PENS!
LET'S GO BUCS!
I HATE SCHOOL!
I HATE HOMEWORK!
jj View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote jj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2011 at 8:58pm
thats really cool i should try that with my slot cars
Mr. Rokenbok View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Rokenbok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2011 at 3:46pm
John,

My son fell in love with your garage.  Ours is not quite as detailed:

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mr. R
Paul Eichen,
Founder

greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2011 at 10:14am

That garage looks great!  My youngest son has that same set of Disney Cars.  He likes Light-n-McQueen so much I painted a Slot car to look just like it.

We are still working on the garage and have added a corporate sponsor.

Next big change.  Painting the garage and adding some lights.....

After a good cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and a coat of primer the beams take a coat of silver metalic paint, these will be used for track supports.  The Garage beams will be white, the roof will be green, the window frames silver and the other trim will be green.

These doors that are now canopy roofs on pit lane will be painted to match some of the cars sponsors.

Edited by greenjo2 - Mar/09/2011 at 10:28am
greenjo2 View Drop Down
ROK Apprentice
ROK Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Quote greenjo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2011 at 6:31pm
Car garage and corporate suites get a fresh coat of paint and WOW!  That looks really good if I say so myself..... Big smile

Edited by greenjo2 - Mar/10/2011 at 9:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12